Search This Blog

18/07/2017

Second Battle - Vs. Orks

My posts have been slower the last couple of weeks because we're gearing up to move house in the near future. My PC was disassembled while some stuff was moved around, and in an unprecedented move I haven't been bothered to put it all back together again!

Last Friday at my local GW store I managed to get another game in. This time it was against the Orks. We played 50 Power on a 4' x 4' board, in another straight up battle to the death.

The Orks:
Warboss in Mega Armour, with an Attack Squig
Big Mek, with a Shokk Attack Gun
Runtherd, with a Squig Hound
10 Gretchin
30 Gretchin
30 Boyz
30 Boyz
6 Burna Boyz

6 Command Points

Blood Ravens:
Captain in Terminator Armour
Tactical Squad, 10 Marines, Grav Gun, Grav Cannon, Power Fist
Devastator Squad, 5 Marines, 4 Heavy Bolters
Venerable Dreadnought
Terminator Assault Squad, 5 Marines, 1 Lightning Claws, 4 Thunder Hammers & Storm Shields
Eversor Assassin
Total = 49 Power

3 Command Points

The Orks set-up as a horde army does - in a line 3/4 deep from one side of the board to the other. I placed my Tac squad, Dev squad and Dreadnought on the board, and kept the Captain, Terminators and Eversor in reserve. This meant just over half my army Power was being held back.

After deployment I got first turn, and at this point I wasn't sure I'd have the firepower to fend off such a Green Tide. In fact, in that first turn I only killed 4 Boyz! In the Orks first turn, my Ven Dread lost 3 wounds to the Shokk Attack Gun, and that was it. A pretty quiet first round!

The second turn saw more shooting from the Blood Ravens, with a higher kill tally this time. The Orks advanced, and tried some ineffective shooting (but it made lots of noise, and pretty explosions, which is what really counts).

The third turn I decided to bring in all of my reserves at once (remember though, the Turn 3 limit only actually applies in matched play). I'm a tad short on pictures, but here's the left flank before my reserves showed up. My Tac squad is holed up on the first floor of some ruins while a gang of Boyz and Burna Boyz leg it towards their position:


On the right flank, my Ven Dread was charged by the Gretchin. In the end, he was actually brought down to a single wound. It was tense, but he retained his right to be called Venerable, and wasn't given the ignominy of being ripped apart at the seams by tiny green buggers:


 

So, when my reserves turned up, I set my Captain off after the Shokk Attack Gun at the back of the field (in the brown crater in the picture below). My Assault Terminators blocked off the Boyz and Warboss's access to my Tac and Dev squads. The Eversor appeared behind the Burna Boyz on the left flank, and proceeded to wreak havoc (probably my new favourite unit).

The Captain and the Terminators each failed their charges. I wasn't too bothered by this at the time, because 10+ on 2D6 isn't the most likely result you're going to get. However, while the Captain survived some mild shooting from the 10 Gretchin and Big Mek, the Terminators didn't fare so well against all those Boyz and an assault from the Warboss. 13 Power is a big loss, particularly when they killed 0 Power, but they ensured the survival of the potent ranged weapons that were reaping such a heavy toll.

But man... that 3D6 charge on the Eversor is just full of awesome. He was able to run into the Burna Boyz and took 4 out right away, and then took out the other 2 on the Ork's turn. Then on Turn 4, he took on the remains of one of the Boyz squads - over 2 turns he brought them down from about 15 Boyz to 2, at which point he exploded and killed the last remaining Boyz! Epic.

Anyway, that's the highlights of the match. In the end I won on Turn 5 when my opponent conceded. Turn 6 would have likely seen a tabling. I had left: Captain, all 10 of the Tac squad, 2 Heavy Bolters in the Dev squad, and the Ven Dread was on 1 wound. For me, this game had a bit of a last stand feel to it, trying to mow down as many Greenskins as possible before our lines succumbed. Finally we emerged victorious, but at the cost of 5 Terminators and an Eversor.

Here's the end of the battle (the last 2 Devs are just out of shot):


I now have a good idea of what my individual units and their weapons are actually capable of. In both this and my last game, I think I underestimated their killy potential. Also, I have a good idea of what I want to run with when I start playing 100 Power games, and matches with objectives or other variables.

I need to start remembering some things as well. In my first game I had forgotten that the Plasma Cannon is Heavy D3, and not just one shot. In this game I kept forgetting Pistols can fire in combat, and this is crucial for the Eversor as he could have survived. I also forgot the Unyielding Ancient rule for the Ven Dread, but my opponent kindly let me roll for it when I remembered.

5 comments:

  1. I do like the grots new rule of "surprisingly dangerous in large numbers" my first few games I took a gretchin horde in the hope of claiming some surprising kills in combat. Took a wound off kharne the betrayer, which meant that when my gretchin crewed artillery pieces later shot him, they killed him. And only just enough too, so that 1W counted. I call that a grot kill in my book. His skull was joined the week later by an assault marine I believe. So two skulls for my grot skull pile... not many but, c'mon, one is kharne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're a brilliant unit for their Power cost! Your opponent ignores them at their peril - as I found out when they let loose with all their Grot Blastas, and then charged me. Even though they're wounding on 6s, they're still hitting on 4s at range and 5s in melee. They can take down anything, potentially.

    Nabbing Kharne is something your nippers should be proud of! Anything they kill is a win, and Kharne is one of the biggest wins you can get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Due to their "surprisingly dangerous in large numbers" rule, the large mob would be hitting on 3s when shooting and hitting on 4s in combat ;)

      Still need a 5 to wound with the gun and a 6 to wound in combat, but still, weight of attacks, hilarity ensues... ;)

      Delete
    2. Plus the grot blaster is a pistol so if the combat lasts longer than one round they can shoot again while fighting you... grots have no concept of honour ;)

      Delete