Search This Blog

06/08/2017

Some things I recently learned about C:SM, also something about gaming etiquette.

Morning fellow Acolytes of the Emperor!

As the title suggests, in this post I will bring up some points I learned about C:SM along with a little bit of gaming etiquette.

Codex Adeptus Astartes: Space Marines

I got in yet another game on Friday (more on that in a bit), which caused me to read the rules again beforehand and then again when I got home. During this time I found out some interesting things about the traits, stratagems etc...

1) Chapter Traits: Selecting a Trait from here doesn't make your army 'counts-as' or anything like that. It simply means you are a Chapter making use of a Founding Chapter's Trait. We always knew since the Indices that a Successor can't use the rules of a Founding Chapter's abilities on their characters, if that chapter is named specifically. However, this has implications for further on in the Warlord Traits.

2) Stratagems: There isn't anything new here actually...

3) Warlord Traits: Initially, my thought process was such that "I take the Raven Guard CT, and the Raven Guard Stratagem, so naturally I take the same for the Warlord Trait" and so I don't think I read the rules correctly because of the assumption I made. Well, I've read this again, and apparently I misunderstood! You only take the Chapter-specific Warlord Trait if you are actually from that Chapter, without exception: "only if your Warlord is from the relevant Chapter" (p.199). The D6 table for the rest of us, but thankfully there are some great Traits on there. This is why Crimson Fists get their own entry here, where they didn't under CT and Stratagems.

4) Walord Traits, part 2: If the warlord of your army is an Adeptus Astartes Character, then you can take a trait from this table. Depending on what the other Adeptus Astartes Codices say, then you can always come here for your Trait, or if you had an Astartes as a Warlord for another mixed-Imperium army, or Deathwatch. However, what GW might do in the future codices is say "Grey Knights/Blood Angels/Dark Angels/Space Wolves/Deathwatch Astartes Characters must select a trait from this table". EDIT: Page 194 refutes this! (Thanks to someone on the B&C forums for the clarity)

5) Relics: After reading those rules for the Warlord Traits, I'm wondering if it is the same for the Relics. As the Chapter Tactic you select is just you using the Trait of your Founding Chapter, and the Stratagem specifically tells you to use a Founding Chapter Stratagem, then it should follow that you can't use the Relics of your Founding Chapter because it doesn't say you can. I shall play it this way from now on I think.

While it's a bit gutting not having access to those nice options, it does mean there are far fewer variables to consider when selecting your Founding Chapter (unfortunately, I don't think I can actually select Thousand Sons as mine so I'll just have to select a placeholder...).

Gaming Etiquette


Just a picture of one of my cute and fluffy Bio-Titans, to keep us all in a good mood.

So in that game on Friday, we played a 2v2 down my local GW on the Konor mission. We opted for 75 power per player, and it was Tyranids/Cult & Death Guard Vs Blood Ravens/Questor Imperialis & Deathwatch/Ultramarines/Imperial Guard.

I quite often give my opponents the benefit of the doubt, because I think an uncomplicated atmosphere makes for a more enjoyable game than asking to check their rules or army list every turn. However, there are times when you just feel like your opponent has given you a kick to the groin after your own efforts to play nice.

I was going to post a shortish BatRep of the game, because for the first two turns we were stomping them, but the Imperium started to crumble on Turn 3 and our opponents valiantly fought it back to take the lead. At the end of Turn 5 they were winning by 2 VPs, but I had to go otherwise I'd get a parking ticket (we'd been playing a loooong time). Anywho, I was totalling up our lists for the report, and I discovered that the Tyranid player had grossly overspent with his army being 93 power!

No wonder why we started losing when his reserves showed up.

The Tyranids deployed all of their units, while the Cult were fully kept in reserve, and this is what they had. Note that the 75 Power only covers the Tyranids:

Tyranids (74 Power)
1x Swarmlord, 1x Flyrant, 1x Tervigon, 2x Carnifexes, 3x Shrikes, 30 Hormagaunts, 30 Termagants.
Cult (19 Power)
1x Partiarch, 5x Purestrain Genestealers, 5x Purestrain Genestealers, 5x Purestrain Genestealers.

The reason why I'm so narked about this one, is that... well actually there's a few reasons:

  • I gave my opponent the benefit of the doubt when he forgot to do something, or when a dice definitely wasn't cocked when he said it was, and so on.
  • For the first 2 turns when we were stomping them, our opponents started whining (one more than the other though) about how they can't win now and the world is going to end. When they started pulling the lead back, I stayed in the same happy and enthusiastic mood because I WAS PLAYING 40K WHICH MEANS LIFE COULDN'T BE BETTER.
  • We were winning until that extra 19 Power turned up. The Patriarch also took the last wounds off my Knight with Smite, which was a lot of firepower lost even on 3 wounds remaining.
  • There was a lot of discussion beforehand over the Power values, so there was absolutely no doubt in anyone's mind what the limit was per person.
So, some etiquette:

1) Write your list down! Preferably a few lists before you get to the store. I always have some 50 and 100 lists, so it is easy for me to add/deduct as I need to, and I can just start playing as soon as someone wants a game.

2) Explain what your powers and abilities do when you use them. Don't just assume that your opponent will know them, or even remember them from the turn previously. Most of us are too busy trying to remember our own rules, or planning for our next turn.

3) If your units need a lot of dice, have them counted up ready for your turn. We don't need to sit there while you count up a bunch of dice ready to roll X times for 90 shots.

4) In the interest of fair play, let someone know when a move might be a bad decision for them, because they've forgotten one of your esoteric abilities. I often let my opponent know (e.g. I tell them about my Callidus' special rule before they use a CP on Turn 1).

5) Check your mood!

Thought for the day:A single thought of heresy can blight a lifetime of faithful duty.


5 comments:

  1. As an ork player, I typically carry MANY dice. Of various colours. However, I know how many of my main colour I have. And if I have a common unit, I keep those dice aside. For instance, the other day I had two squads of ten lootas, so kept 30 dice to one side. Until I took casualties, it made picking up a portion of dice easier. Although given it's D3 shots per turn I can't eliminate counting completely...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the attitude Hordes need to have! Usually though you're the only horde player I go up against. Years of floundering hopelessly against walls of Human Resources and then Orks have probably spoilt me a bit against other horde players.

      It's just such a simple process to use though.

      Delete
    2. When I was playing Blob IG, I had a bunch of dice in different colours in my bag, ten of each colour. So if a given Platoon kicked out 43 shots, it was the grey, black, blue, red, and three of the whites. Very convenient, and if I screwed it up, it worked out as a detriment to myself, so I didn't have to worry about cheating anyone else.

      Delete
    3. That's a good plan. I played a guard army the other day and he had boxes of 50... so he could take a few out and roll the box. Great. Except he didn't keep track of the dice or put them back into the box. So he ended up recounting both his boxes of 50 every turn. Which probably took longer than grabbing the 37 dice he needed off the table willy nilly. May suggest this to him if I play him again.

      Delete
  2. then Orks have probably spoilt me a bit against other horde players.

    บาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete